Monday, February 24, 2014

Background on a new blogger

After speaking with a good friend yesterday, I've decided to begin documenting my life as the spouse of a soon-to-be doctor. My goal is to write about what this entire process has been like while documenting about the future. Hopefully, I will be able to keep those friends or family members who read it informed about our life while providing education to those who will walk in these footsteps at a later time.

In 2008 I began dating a sweet boy who had dreams of someday becoming a doctor. On December 19th, 2009 that dream became a reality when he was accepted into medical school at USCSOM. I knew from the moment that I met Richard that I wanted to marry him and that I would do whatever was necessary to see him achieve his dream. On June 23rd, 2012 after being long distance for almost 4 years, we tied the knot. With the step one boards and the first two years of medical school behind us, we began our life together. 4 days after getting married, he began his 3rd year rotations.

I'll be honest when I say that 3rd year was difficult. I was beginning my first job after completing my MSW, trying to learn about being a spouse, finances, learning to cook, learning to be in the same city as Richard while having to cater life to whatever the rotation schedule was. In our first year of marriage, I honestly don't believe that we had a ton of time together aside from a few lucky weekends off, the occasional holiday that he didn't have to work and our delayed honeymoon to Paris in December.

I knew going into our marriage that things would be hard. Marriage itself is hard but being married to a medical student (any medical student) is difficult.  Everyday is a challenge as the spouse of a medical student but everyday that I get to see him light up about something that happened at the hospital makes this journey worth it.  

Please feel free to follow me as I begin blogging about our journey to get his MD and all of the milestones that will be met along this crazy road. 



At Lake Tahoe, Jan 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment